My HDL LDL and total cholesterol is really high every time I go have blood work done. I am supposed to be taking meds. Is that safe not to?

Depends. The decision to take medications for high cholesterol depends on the levels of total and each subtype of cholesterol, as well as risks of the patient. If your doctor has recommended to start meds, you should follow your doctor's advice. High cholesterol if untreated can lead to heart and vascular disease.
You might be at risk. Having an elevated lipoprotein profile can put you at risk of of having a heart attack. Ask your doctor about the Framingham risk score for cardiovascular disease, using simple parameters such as systolic blood pressure, age, gender, total cholesterol, HDL and smoking or not, can predict your chance of having a heart attack in the next 10 years.