What do doctors think about accupuncture (sp?)? It seems mysterious to me, but somehow has helped a lot of people I know.

Dr. Robert Greer
In brief: I am supportive
The chinese have used this therapy for a few thousand years before western medicine began.
Many of my patients have found relief without harm for a multitude of problems.Does this means that it is "evidence based" or "double blinded placebo controlled"-no-but i really do not think it harmful unless you rely on this to diagnose or treat a dangerous (think bowel cancer) problem.

In brief: I am supportive
Dr. Robert Greer
Dr. Robert Greer
In brief: It has helped me too
Many western trained physicians are not accepting of approaches for which there are not clear scientific explanations.
Please check out the world health organization list of conditions that can be treated by acupuncture. A study released in the archives of internal medicine (10 sept 2012); reviewed 29 studies involving almost 18, 000 people; indicated that acupuncture had positive results.

In brief: It has helped me too
2 comments
Dr. Scott Welker
Dr Fowler, I must say I agree that western physicians mistrust methods which lack "clear scientific explanations"! And I will continue to do so! Can you give a complete ref for that article? AIM 9/10/12 has nothing about acupuncture.
http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1357513. JAMA Internal Medicine was previously called Archives of Internal Medicine.
In brief: Disagree
I think acupuncture is voodoo.
It can be harmful in that people go to their acupuncturist in good faith, and they dishonestly portray their methods as effective against a variety of conditions that are in dire need of real medicine. I suppose there are exceptions to this; that is acupuncturists who tell people that they need to go see a doctor, but I have never found one.

In brief: Disagree
I think acupuncture is voodoo.
Dr. Scott Welker
Dr. Scott Welker
3 comments
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Hello Dr. Walker -- I respectfully suggest that you ask Dr. Heidi Fowler (a psychiatrist and acupuncturist) whether she refers to other physicians when indicated. Also you might find the Archives of Internal Medicine study she referenced in her answer to this very question, interesting.
Dr. Scott Welker
I'd love to read that study, can't find it though...no acupuncture articles in Arch Int Med 9/10/12. And you misspelled my name.