I was told that I have uterine fibroids and endometriosis. Does this happen frequently?

Not that rare. Although most of the time these two conditions occur in isolation, most gynecologists have encountered patients with both fibroids and endometriosis. Some patients have lousy luck!
Yes. Many women have both. Often you dont know about the endometriosis until you do surgery for fibroids. And sometimes it is difficult to medically manage both of them at the same time since one may respond better to treatment than the other.