Do doctors discontinue wellbutrin (bupropion) if joint pain starts in the first week of treatment?

Not typically. Joint pain is not a typical side effect of wellbutrin (bupropion). Symptoms like joint pain can be evaluated and treated by primary care docs.
Joint pain-Wellbutri. While I have never had somebody tell me they developed joint pain from wellbutrin (bupropion) i also tell them any medication can have any side effect including death. In my opinion you should contact your prescribing professional and if on initial dose ask if you can stop it and see if it goes away within 2 weeks.