Is it safe to take Advil (ibuprofen) if I have asthma? I have taken it before without adverse reactions, but the bottle cautions asthma users to consult a doctor

Dr. Andrew Murphy
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Possibly

Aspirin exacerbated respiratory disease is a form of asthma that is worsened when one is exposed to Aspirin and Aspirin like medications.
One's physician should be able to clarify if one has this type of asthma.

In brief: Possibly

Dr. Andrew Murphy
Dr. Andrew Murphy
Dr. Yash Khanna

In brief: Advil (ibuprofen) with asthma

If you have taken it before and had no problem and if you are not allergic to Aspirin then you can safely take it.
Asmall number of patient with asthma also have Aspirin allergy and that can cross over to advil and Aleve (naproxen) etc, but number is very small.

In brief: Advil (ibuprofen) with asthma

Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine