I had cataract surgery last weds. Today I inadvertently went outside in bright sun without my dark glasses on - did I do serious harm? I was only ou

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology
In brief: No harm
The dark glasses are not medicinal.
They are to 1) give you some comfort from the increased light input to the eye after cataract removal and 2) provide a little protection from a direct poke to the eye. Do not worry.

In brief: No harm
The dark glasses are not medicinal.
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. LINDA VARGAS
Ophthalmology
In brief: No
We recommend sunglasses to protect your eyes from uv damage, but also to make you comfortable.
Most patients after cataract surgery will experience some light sensitivity during the immediate postoperative period, i.e., 1-2 weeks. I recommend my patients get into the habit of wearing sunglasses in bright sunlight regardless of having had surgery or not.

In brief: No
Dr. LINDA VARGAS
Dr. LINDA VARGAS
Dr. Allen Seely
General Practice
In brief: NO HARM
I hope the cataract surgery went well! after cataract surgery your eyes are sensitive to bright sunshine so dark sunglasses are recommended for comfort.
No harm done going outside for a short period of time.

In brief: NO HARM
Dr. Allen Seely
Dr. Allen Seely
Dr. Mark Golden
Ophthalmology
In brief: Sun after cataracts
It is unlikely that you would get damage to your eye from the sun unless you were gazing directly in to the light.
It is possible that it may have been uncomfortable, .

In brief: Sun after cataracts
Dr. Mark Golden
Dr. Mark Golden
Dr. Jay Bradley
Ophthalmology - LASIK Surgery
In brief: Not a problem
Bright light early after cataract surgery can be uncomfortable for the patient but will not cause any damage or problems.

In brief: Not a problem
Dr. Jay Bradley
Dr. Jay Bradley
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery