Extreme short of breath. My pulmonary doctor first diagnosed as asthma, then after more tests, says I have copd. How do I know it's not lung cancer?

Be at peace. Say the same thing to your pulmonologist and he might order t scan of lungs 2nd opinion is worth too. Are you a smoker ? Loosing wt ?
Need more data. Using a combination of a thorough history of symptoms looking for risk factors and examination and imaging.
Imagine study. Usually an imaging study - CXR, CT scan of chest - will be able to rule in or rule out a mass lesion that could be cancer.