Does compression stockings prevent superficial thrombophlebitis?

Yes - proven. There is much medical research documenting the effectiveness of compression stockings in preventing thrombophlebitis. This includes prevention of deep & superficial thrombophlebitis, (ie DVT & SVT). Compression therapy is also a therapy for SVT & is used in the hospital for DVT prophylaxis. Especially useful if varicose veins or venous reflux as it helps improve vein flow & prevent SVT in varices.
No good evidence. I am not aware of any good study that has shown compression stockings preventing superficial thrombophlebitis. Doctors recommend compression stockings for various reasons but there is not good evidence that they prevent superficial phlebitis in ambulatory people. [ there is evidence that they prevent deep vein phlebitis or DVT in bedridden people.].