I was told that I have endometriosis on my incision where I had a cesarean section. How is this possible?

Dr. John Jarrett
Fertility Medicine

In brief: It is possible

Although somewhat unusual, endometriosis certainly can occur in a c-section scar, or any other pelvic surgical scar for that matter. It is thought that the cells from the inside of the uterus get "seeded" into the scar at the time of the surgery and can then begin to grow, and perhaps cause pain.

In brief: It is possible

Dr. John Jarrett
Dr. John Jarrett
Dr. Alfredo Nieves
I think that endometriosis in the cesarean se tion scar is more common than is led to believe. I see a dozen cases ayear and don't do obstetrics.
Dr. Alfredo Nieves
Gynecology

In brief: Scar endo

This is much more common phenomenon than you think.
Because at the time of cesarean section the uterus is opened and the endometrium could be in contact with the fat at the incision site, the tissue can implant creating endometriosis at the scar. The symptoms are cyclic pain and swealling somewhere in the scar that subside after menses. The treatment is scar removal surgically.

In brief: Scar endo

Dr. Alfredo Nieves
Dr. Alfredo Nieves
Dr. Adam Smith