Between Depakote and lithobid (lithium carbonate) which is best for a person with more depressive episodes than manic?

Dr. Donald Jacobson

In brief: Lithium vs DEPAKOTE

Lithium generally works better on the depressed side of bipolar disorder.
Depakote shines more on the manic side of bipolar disorder. These are gross generalizations and there are many exceptions to the rule. However, if it were me and i were having difficulty with bipolar depression i would likely choose lithium over depakote. I realize that there are likely many clinicians who would view this differently. I think there is literature to support both in the use of bipolar depression and bipolar mania.

In brief: Lithium vs DEPAKOTE

Dr. Donald Jacobson
Dr. Donald Jacobson
2 comments
Dr. Alan Koenigsberg
Well stated!
Dr. Eric Weisman