Why wouldnt I pay a few thousand usd to see if I carry the breast or ovarian cancer gene?

Family history. I have to assume you are talking about brac1 and 2 testing. Without a family history of breast or ovarian cancer your chance of having a mutation would be pretty low. With a family history, most insurance would cover at least part of the cost of the testing. Myriad, the lab which does the testing, would do an analysis for you to determine your out of pocket costs prior to running the test.
Then what. You need to ask yourself, "what will I do with the answer?" if you have the cancer genes, will you have the at risk organs removed? The so called cancer genes affect some organs more but other organs may be affected as well, so where will you draw the line?