Why wouldnt I pay a few thousand usd to see if I carry the breast or ovarian cancer gene?

Dr. Wesley Grootwassink

In brief: Family history

I have to assume you are talking about brac1 and 2 testing.
Without a family history of breast or ovarian cancer your chance of having a mutation would be pretty low. With a family history, most insurance would cover at least part of the cost of the testing. Myriad, the lab which does the testing, would do an analysis for you to determine your out of pocket costs prior to running the test.

In brief: Family history

Dr. Wesley Grootwassink
Dr. Wesley Grootwassink
Dr. Barry Rosen
This is a question best-answered with the assistance of a genetic counselor.
Pathology

In brief: Then what

You need to ask yourself, "what will I do with the answer?" if you have the cancer genes, will you have the at risk organs removed? The so called cancer genes affect some organs more but other organs may be affected as well, so where will you draw the line?

In brief: Then what

Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Peter Kurzweil