Why is the typhoid vaccine not routinely given for all travel to 3rd world?

In brief: Not sure

Multi drug resistant typhoid fever is probably a greater national problem than hepatitis b infection.
Poor food and water hygiene in 3rd world countries is a given. I think high cost and manufacturing/distribution is the biggest hindrance to universal vaccination.

In brief: Not sure

Dr. Michael H. T. Sia
Dr. Michael H. T. Sia
Dr. Eric L. Weiss
Travel Medicine

In brief: Not perfect vaccine

The two available (us) vaccines are not perfectly effective (only approx 75%) and each can cause mild side effects, not to mention cost.
So if the risk of getting typhoid seems larger than the benefit of the vaccine, despite the cost and side effect, then it is recommended. See a travel medicine expert to discuss what is best for you and your specific trip.

In brief: Not perfect vaccine

Dr. Eric L. Weiss
Dr. Eric L. Weiss