What if your back gums are swollen is it an infection?

Likely yes . Other causes of your symptoms are possible. See you dentist for a examination, diagnosis and treatment.
Possibly. If it does not resolve with simple brushing and flossing please see your dentist,
Probably. Brush gently 2x/day w soft toothbrush & pea-sized portion of toothpaste for 2 full minutes by the clock every day. Most important, floss or WaterPik daily. If it's more than 6 months since your last professional cleaning, schedule one. If inflammation does. Not fully resolve in 10-14 days, schedule examination with your Dentist.