Why would I grind my tooth in sleep and how could I prevent it?

Sleep. This happens during sleep. Check with your sleep expert and ask if a sleep study is useful for you.
CERTAIN REASONS... Main reason for grinding is said to be stress and daily habits...And the more stress u add to ur daiy routine, the more possibility of clenching and grinding, that occurs mainly during night time sleep(nocturnal bruxism )... Also.. The most routinre things u would need to do is to get ur general dentist and have him make you a great occlusal splint, or night guard...