What to do if my eyes are diagnosed as having glaucoma?

Dr. Robert Chang
Ophthalmology

In brief: See a specialist

Figure out if it's progressing at current eye pressure range and lower the pressure if it's worsening.

In brief: See a specialist

Dr. Robert Chang
Dr. Robert Chang
Dr. Damien Luviano
Determine type: open or closed to see if interferes with oral medications. next determine if primary or secondary.
Dr. Harold Peltan
Ophthalmology

In brief: SLT laser

Many specialists (like me) prefer the selective laser trabeculoplasty as first line treatment in most cases.
It is a simple, easy, in-office procedure with almost no discomfort. Recovery time is about fifteen minutes. The effect usually lasts one to two years, but it can safely be repeated. Very safe procedure. Eye drops are excellent treatment also. Rarely, invasive surgery may be necessary.

In brief: SLT laser

Dr. Harold Peltan
Dr. Harold Peltan
Dr. Douglas Liva
Ophthalmology

In brief: Usually eye drops

Most glaucoma is diagnosed as primary open angle glaucoma which is usually treated with eye drops.
Other first line treatment is laser trabeculoplasty, preferably selective laser trabeculoplasty. Surgical treatment with trabeculectomy is rarely recommended in the usa for initial treatment of glaucoma due to potential complications. Narrow angles without glaucoma is treated with laser iridotom.

In brief: Usually eye drops

Dr. Douglas Liva
Dr. Douglas Liva
Dr. Harold Peltan
Agree. Many specialist (like me) prefer the Selective Laser Trabeculoplasty as first line treatment in most cases. It is a simple, easy, in-office procedure with almost no discomfort. Recovery time is about fifteen minutes. The effect usually lasts one to two years, but it can safely be repeated. Very safe procedure.
Dr. Benjamin Chun
Ophthalmology

In brief: Treat it

Your ophthalmologist will guide you to your best available treatment.
It could be medication, laser or surgery, depending on your situation.

In brief: Treat it

Dr. Benjamin Chun
Dr. Benjamin Chun