What is a sleep disturbance? Do you have to wake up or can you sleep through it?

Dr. Hesham Hassaballa
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care

In brief: Disrupted Sleep

A "sleep disturbance" is anything that disrupts the normal sleep pattern.
So, it could be sleep apnea that keeps waking someone's brain up. Or, frequent urination; or insomnia from a number of reasons. Usually, you don't "sleep through" a sleep disturbance because it would not be a disturbance then.

In brief: Disrupted Sleep

Dr. Hesham Hassaballa
Dr. Hesham Hassaballa
Dr. Neil Liebowitz

In brief: Sleep disorder

Many sleep disorder, like sleep apnea and periodic limb movements the person may not be aware of.
Likewise, waking up a few times at night briefly is not a sleep disorder. What counts is how restful your sleep is in the morning. If you sleep excessively and are still tired that might be a sleep disorder which only a sleep study can identify correctly.

In brief: Sleep disorder

Dr. Neil Liebowitz
Dr. Neil Liebowitz
Dr. Beverly Dexter
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Sleep disturbance

If you are waking up multiple times per night please have an evaluation from a psychologist expert in sleep disorders.
Waking up from dreams can definitely be resolved. In my book and class, No More Nightmares, I teach Planned Dream Intervention which teaches the sleeping brain that there is no such thing as a bad dream. You end up sleeping peacefully through any dreams.

In brief: Sleep disturbance

Dr. Beverly Dexter
Dr. Beverly Dexter