What do I do if spouse goes bipolar?

Dr. Matthew Keener
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: Talk about it

Talk to your spouse about his or her mood variations and the ways they affect you.
Then ask if he or she would be willing to seek treatment from a qualified psychiatrist. Let your spouse know that bipolar disorder can be effectively treated, and that symptoms can worsen over time if left untreated.

In brief: Talk about it

Dr. Matthew Keener
Dr. Matthew Keener
Dr. J. Kirk Clopton

In brief: Get help

Bipolar disorder is a treatable disorder. However, it will get worse over time if inadequately treated or not treated.
I would strongly recommend seeing a psychiatrist who can confirm the diagnosis and prescribe the medication(s) that provide the best response with the fewest side effects.

In brief: Get help

Dr. J. Kirk Clopton
Dr. J. Kirk Clopton
Dr. Alan Ali

In brief: Bipolar spouse

Seek professional help to evaluate, and be part of your spouse's therapy for added support.

In brief: Bipolar spouse

Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Eric Weisman