What causes the sudden pain in the arch of your foot? Do I need new shoes?

May help. A variety of problems can cause pain in and around the arch. A good place to start is good shoes and extra arch support. Avoid thin soled flimsy shoes for something with a thicker, stiffer sole. Avoid excessive barefoot. If this does not help, see your podiatrist. Dr l.
Support. The muscles of your foot may be overworking by not having enough support. You may want to try a pair of orthotics before throwing out your shoes.
Many possibilities. Your pain could due to trauma (fracture, sprain, arthritis, inflammation), infection, metabolic conditions (gout), poor circulation, musculoskeletal or biomechanical abnormality and different neurologic conditions (neuropathy). A thorough history and physical exam and possibly some laboratory and radiology exams are needed to determine the exact cause. The treatment varies depending on the cause.