What causes itchy skin when being overtired? Is it just stress?

Worse at night. Itching is typically worse at night, because during the day you have your mind on more important things. At night when you go to bed, and have nothing in particular to think about, your itching becomes more noticeable.
Itchy skin. It stems from what the purpose of sleep is for your body. When you sleep, your immune system is going to work, repairing cells and healing your body. When your body is deprived of sleep, your immune system is weakened and probably didn't get a chance to do its job. Your skin is probably itchy because you may have a small allergy that does not effect you when you're fully rested.