What copper levels in drinking water are potentially hazardous for wilson's disease patients?

Aaron Stupple
General Practice
In brief: 0.1ppm
Drinking water rarely exceeds 0.
1 parts per million (ppm), deemed a safe level for wilson's disease. Testing is not so much for fear of exceeding 0.1ppm, but to make sure your home/school is not prone to excessive leaching (example: acidic water in copper pipes). Consistent levels <0.1ppm mean leaching is unlikely. Flushing copper pipes (let water run) is recommended before drinking/cooking.

In brief: 0.1ppm
Drinking water rarely exceeds 0.
Aaron Stupple
Aaron Stupple
Answer assisted by Aaron Stupple, Medical Student
Pathology
In brief: Not a risk
If your Wilson's is properly managed, this will not pose a danger to you.
This is my opinion. There's talk about 0.1 parts per million being a case of "I wonder why so much copper in the water", but there's plenty of copper in many foods and Wilson's folks really do not need to restrict diet.

In brief: Not a risk
Dr. Richard Hector
Ophthalmology
In brief: Any
Any increase in copper exposure is dangerous to these patients.

In brief: Any
Dr. Richard Hector
Dr. Richard Hector