How will I know if my baby or child has rickets from vitamin d deficiency?

Dr. Scott Bolhack
Wound care

In brief: Rickets

I will presume that you are feeding your child a normal diet for age and that you are seeing your pediatrician or family practice physician on a regular basis.
Rickets will be part of a constellation of signs and symptoms that will determined clinically. This type of nutritional deficiency is relatively rare in america at this time.

In brief: Rickets

Dr. Scott Bolhack
Dr. Scott Bolhack
Dr. Linda DiMeglio
Actually, not so rate... And can be due to calcium or vitamin d deficiency. If your doctor suspects rickets a blood test and perhaps X-rays will be diagnostic.
Dr. Robert Lang
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Many syptoms

You may notice swelling of the ends of the long bones especially the wrists, knees and ankles.
The baby may be cranky due to bone tenderness and he/she will not grow taller.

In brief: Many syptoms

Dr. Robert Lang
Dr. Robert Lang
Dr. Shontae Buffington