They want to do an autopsy on my stillborn. But it is my precious baby. Should I allow them?

Dr. Amy Gruszecki
Pathology
In brief: Up to you.
An autopsy may be able to rule out congenital abnormalities that were not known.
An autopsy and placenta exam may determine if an infection caused the death of the baby. Sometimes an autopsy will not be able to come up with a definitive cause of death. So it is up to you if you would like the death to be investigated further, with the understanding that an answer still may not be determined.

In brief: Up to you.
Dr. Amy Gruszecki
Dr. Amy Gruszecki
Dr. Aileen Sedman
In brief: More babies? Yes
My sincere condolences.
This is hard but if you plan on having more children you should get genetic testing and an autopsy to help you understand what happened. Find comfort in the fact that this baby could help another. A pediatrician or geneticist should be able to help you decide on tests depending on your family history.. Get grief counseling--it is important.

In brief: More babies? Yes
My sincere condolences.
Dr. Aileen Sedman
Dr. Aileen Sedman
Pathology
In brief: Absolutely
I have never known family that was sorry for getting an autopsy; I have known hundreds that were sorry they did not get it done.
Only once have i seen a pathologist approach human remains with less than reverence -- he no longer has his job. I'm sorry for the loss of your child and i hope that the autopsy -- which will rule in or out a variety of explanations -- will be helpful.

In brief: Absolutely
Dr. Ankush Bansal
In brief: Depends
If it's anything but homicide, question of cause, or procedure-related, then you generally have the right to refuse autopsy.
In the other cases, it's up to the local medical examiner (a government official). Each state is a little different in their rules on this.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Ankush Bansal
Dr. Ankush Bansal
Dr. Cindy Juster