How is Zanaflex (tizanidine) different than flexeril?

Zanaflex (tizanidine) vs.Flexeril. Flexeril differs from the other centrally acting agents because it is structurally and pharmacologically related to amitriptyline, a tricyclic antidepressant. Zanaflex (tizanidine) is an alpha adrenergic agonist that inhibits the release of NE from the locus ceruleus in the brain.
Several ways. Both medications are muscle relaxants. Zanaflex is the brand name for tizanidine. Flexeril (cyclobenzaprine hcl) is the brand name for cyclobenzaprine. Neither of these medications truly relaxes the muscle. They work on the central nervous system (brain and/or spinal cord) to create 'relaxation' of the muscle. As a result , the common side effect of drowsiness can be problematic.