How do doctors know when an ACL reconstruction is completely healed?

ACL Healing. Acl healing is based on xrays in some cases (to see if the bone plug has healed), knowledge of the time it takes for the biology of healing and your strength. Most doctors will not allow you to return to sports until you have regained your strength to help protect the acl. Some will even make you pass a "sports test" or functional strength assessment.
Time from op./exam. Generally time from the surgery and a good examination will be able to tell if an acl reconstructed patient is healed. Some graft choices(allograft)take a bit longer to heal than others.