Should I get checked for ehlers-danlos syndrome if my elbows can bend back really far?

Dr. Karl Muench
Clinical Genetics

In brief: Not if no other sign

Some persons have hyperextensible elbows (going to more than 180 degrees) with no other hyperextensible joints and no other signs of ehlers-danlos syndrome (eds).
Of the many types of eds some are clinically benign. If your elbows are not problematic, there is no need to check.

In brief: Not if no other sign

Dr. Karl Muench
Dr. Karl Muench
This is very good advice. As a pathologist, I often remind people of "The First Rule of Medical Testing -- If you're not going to do anything different based on the possible results of the test, don't do the test." Cheers.
Dr. John Goldman
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Your are hypermobile

If you are flexible you may have ehlers-danlos type iii which is benign hypermobility.
It is benign because this type does not cause internal medical problems. The are 6 major types and 5 minor types and there are genetic connections. The need for evalaution is to be certain you don't have that the more severe types. I doubt you do - so then your best therapy is exercise muscles.

In brief: Your are hypermobile

Dr. John Goldman
Dr. John Goldman
Dr. Shontae Buffington