Should I be blood tinged liquid coming out my belly button after a hernia operation?

Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery
In brief: It depends.
Most incisions are water-tight within 36- hours after surgery.
It is not uncommon to see slight drainage during this early post-op period, especially if the method of closure included staples. However, beyond 2-3 days, this may be an early sign of a superficial wound infection--this warrants a call to your surgeon and possible face-to-face evaluation.

In brief: It depends.
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Rafael Lugo
Surgery
In brief: Timmons
The timming of that symptom is very important.
Early, withing a week it may be normal. Beyond that it can be an infection. Usually there should be no discharge from a wound at all. See your surgeon as soon as possible.

In brief: Timmons
Dr. Rafael Lugo
Dr. Rafael Lugo
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery