How to deal with pain in jaw muscle or submandibular joint?

Two diff. Things. If the pain is from the jaw muscle under your cheek that could be from the parotid gland under it, if the pain is from the joint TMJ , treatments varies from a simple night guard to surgery, see you's dentist to determine the cause of the pain and treat it.
A few things. Depends on symptoms, and cause of symptoms. 3 signs of TMJ dysfunction: joint noises, joint pain & limited oral opening. Self treat with soft diet, jaw exercises, massage, heat/cold, OTC pain meds. A splint or physical therapy would be next. Occasionally muscle relaxants, biofeedback. Xrays are done for diagnosis. Surgery usually reserved for serious symptoms not responsive to other treatments.