Will 5 atarax (hydroxyzine) and 2 alprazolam overdose?

Dr. Jane Steiner

In brief: most likely not

Anytime you take more of a drug than you are prescribed, it is considered an overdose.
I doubt that you were prescribed 5 Atarax (hydroxyzine) together to be takenwith 2 alprazolam. Those 2 meds are both very sedating and together could possibly make you sleep for a long time, but i don't think it would hurt you if that was all you took. However if you drank alcohol or added other meds to that, it be dangerous!

In brief: most likely not

Dr. Jane Steiner
Dr. Jane Steiner
2 comments
Dr. Donald Jacobson
I hope you don't mind if I had a comment here. It is not clear to me exactly how many milligrams of Xanax were taking nor how many milligrams of hydroxyzine. I have some comic anxiety disorder patients who require the combination of up to 50 mg of hydroxyzine at bedtime along with 2 mg of Xanax. Obviously this is not optimal, but it helps them and that is what is important. Your tolerability ultimately depends upon your exposure to the dose already. It sounds like you've taken a higher dose so I agree that it is likely that you will running some problems with sedation in the morning. Do not drive or operate any machinery until you feel that your mind has cleared.
Dr. Jane Steiner
That is absolutely true, that a hydroxyzine (Atarax) dose like that and a Xanax dose like that often do get prescribed together- I completely agree, dosage, the patient's tolerance to these medicines, these factors play an important part in how a patient will respond.
Dr. Eric Weisman