Doctor insights on:
Organophosphate: This causes a build up of acetylcholine due to enzyme inhibition. Symptoms may be mild eg. Gi to severe such as come, respiratory arrest etc... So treatment needs to be done in a hospital. An evlauation needs to be done first. - effects are independent of exposure amount. Atropine and pralidoxime are used for treatment along with supportive care. ...Read more
Toxic ingestion (also called "poisoning") is a condition in which a person has eaten or drank a substance that causes ill symptoms or damage to his body. Taking an overdose of a medicine, taking any dose of a poison, drinking too much vodka, or accidentally drinking antifreeze . . . are all ...Read more
Variable: Food poisoning may be due to chemicals, biological toxins, and live mico-organisms. The common symptoms are nausea, vomiting diarrhoea but there are many variations. See this site for more info. http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/food-poisoning/understanding-food-poisoning-symptoms. ...Read more
Variable: Symptoms from scorpion stings can be quite variable: there can be pain or numbness at the bite site. Heart rate and& respiratory rate may increase along with ^ blood pressure, weakness & twitching of muscles. In the United States the scorpion that is likely to cause the most problems is called the bark scorpion. In some areas of the world scorpion stings may be lethal. ...Read more
What are the symptoms and complications from having constant chemical poisoning for years all through childhood?
Vague: Please forgive my frankness. We're all around unwholesome stuff, but there's a cult diagnosis of "chemical poisoning"; people have a variety of nonspecific symptoms and do not look for other explanations. -- which does these unfortunates a disservice. Usually another cause can be found, anything from porphyria to fibromyalgia to endocrine disease to the emotional sequelae of child abuse. Be wise. ...Read more
What's the possibly of getting chemical poisoning from touching a dry apron a chemical splashed on and then eating?
Depends: that depends on the chemical. Read the product label to see what you should do in case of exposure, or call poison control 1-800-222-1222 ...Read more
Yes it is: If food is contaminated by salmonella, anyone who eats that food can become ill. Also it can be transmitted person-to-person by the fecal-oral route. Strict hand-washing is needed. Also keeping raw meat, etc separate from other foods is wise -- as is having separate cutting boards, etc. http://tinyurl.com/k8894u5. ...Read more
Many possibilities. : Lead was used as an additive to paints used in home building years ago & the inhalation of paint dust during renovations, or kids chewing on cribs painted with lead paint provided some. Exposure to clothes of someone working in around lead (battery reclamation) or that from lead paint on decorative dishes were also common. Removal of lead from many of these products has reduced public risk. ...Read more
Lead in environment: Sources of lead include old paint (babies chewing on windowsills); soil near a highway; pottery with lead based glaze (usually imported); and some toys have been found to have lead based paint (again- imported. Lead based paint is no longer used in the US. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer