Doctor insights on:
Will Removing My Spleen Make Me More Likely To Get Sick
Yes ...: In addition to being more susceptible to encapsulated organisms such as s. Pneumoniae (therefore, get your meningitis and pneumonia vaccines), you are also susceptible to other organisms that most people are not: capnocytophaga (from a dog bite), babesia (from a tick bite in certain parts of the us), and vibrio vulnificus (amarine bacteria that can cause a necrotizing skin infections). ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
I just got scratched in several places on my abdomen by a cat. Will not having a spleen make me more likely to get cat scratch disease?
A splenic: Not having a spleen will make you more at risk for many types of bacterial infections, especially those of "encapsulated organisms." streptococcus, heamophilus, neiseria. Cat scratch disease does travel through the lymphatic system but usually regionally from the lymph node near the scratch site which are intact in you. Luckily it is rare, but as an a-splenic be cautious with all infections. ...Read more
Yes: It is an encapsulated bacterium.Get a more detailed answer ›
Do some children gets an enlarged spleen with all viruses? My son already had mono but he seems to get a slightly enlarged spleen whenever he's sick.
Not with all viruses: Mononucleosis does cause splenic enlargement but all viruses do not cause splenic enlargement.But there are others beside the Ebstein Barr Virus which causes mononucleosis.Cytomegalo virus causes it.But you say it get enlarged whenever he is sick.I suggest you discuss with your pediatrician if it is of concern.If it goes down after his illness .then I see no problem.Discuss with his Pediatrician ...Read more
I am a cancer survivor with no spleen so I get my flu shot every year past three or four years I have been feeling sick afterwards is this a concern?
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Does coffee make me more or less likely to get pregnant?
- Can it be more likely for me to get diabetes if my ma has it?
- Are there things in my control that make bronchitis more likely?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Are there certain things that make getting phlebitis more likely?
- Are there certain things that make getting chlamydia infections more likely?
- What are the factors that make it more likely to get benign positional vertigo?
- What are the factors that make it more likely to get inflammation of a nerve?
- Talk to a hepatologist online for free