Doctor insights on:
Will My Baby Have Sickle Cell Disease If My Partner And I Carry The Gene
Not necessarily: If you and your partner both have sickle cell trait, there is a 25% chance your child will be normal (not have sickle cell trait or anemia), a 50% chance they will have sickle cell trait (just like you and your partner), and a 25% chance they will have sickle cell disease. Prenatal diagnosis is available early in pregnancy that will tell you what your child has. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
From a medical standpoint, "genetic" refers to the potential heritability of various medical conditions. While some conditions are inevitable (at some point in one's life) as a consequence of simple genetic heritability (eg huntington's disease), a large number of medical conditions (including all behaviorial health disorders) are the expressed final pathway of a ...Read more
Sickle: What is the rate of occurrence for the disease sickle cell anemia or disease?" -- the occurrence rate is 25% if both parents are carriers, 50% if one parent has it and another parent is a carrier and 100% if both parents have it. Roughly 1, 000 infants are born, in the U.S., with it each year. ...Read more
Depends on geography: Given the single base change responsible for sickle cell trait in the beta globin gene, the frequency of new mutations is essentially zero. According to the cdc in the usa, 8-10% of african americans have sickle cell trait and 0.2% have sickle cell disease. Conversely, in western africa, the prevalence of sickle cell trait is 30-40%. ...Read more
Yes: One copy of the beta-globin gene mutation causing sickle hemoglobin is called sickle trait--the other normal copy (most genes are paired) makes sufficient normal globin to prevent disease. If you as a person with sickle trait (carrier of sickle cell disease) marry someone with sickle trait, then you have a 25% chance to have a child with sickle cell disease with each pregnancy. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Blood: The genetic defect is in the hemoglobin molecule. ...Read more
I Don't Think So: I'm guessing a bit as to what you mean by your question. Sickle cell anemia is caused by a gene mutation on both copies of the beta globin gene. In that sense it is a genetic disease. However, a number of other factors, some of them environmental, can influence the type and severity of problems that patients with ssa have. ...Read more
Hemoglobinopathy: Patients with sickle cell anemia make an abnormal hemoglobin (hgb.). Normal HGB consists of paired protein chains (globin) and an iron containing part (heme). Patients with ssa inherit an abnormal beta-globin gene from each parent. Carriers have one normal beta-globin gene and one sickle beta globin gene. The carriers (trait) have no symptoms. ...Read more
Important gene...: Sickle cell anemia is caused by a mutation in the gene that tells your body to make hemoglobin. Hemoglobin allows red blood cells to carry oxygen from your lungs to all parts of your body. In sickle cell anemia, the abnormal hemoglobin causes red blood cells to become rigid, sticky and misshapen. These abnormal red blood cells lead to the various symptoms of the disease. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
This is a genetic disorder in which hemoglobin is abnormally made., more common in people of african descent. This abnormality causes red blood cells to become stiff and fall apart. This can cause very specific symptoms: pain, pneumonias, strokes, spleen problems, and many other problems. Some have mild disease, some ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How can i have a sickle cell crisis without having the disease?
- What happens if my baby is born with sickle cell disease?
- Do i have to tell my partner i have herpes?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Can men with sickle cell disease have children?
- Can you have partial sickle cell disease?
- What will happen if i fly without extra o2 and i have sickle cell disease?
- How do i tell my partner i have hiv?
- Talk to a hematologist online for free