Doctor insights on:
Will A Taser Kill Someone Who Has An Implanted Defibrillator
Maybe not: A taser might damage implanted devices, although some studies done on pigs found the 5-seconds of high voltage did not damage pacemakers or implanted defibrillators. Those devices likely have safety features to block high voltage electrical currents. Not sure if a defribillator could reset the heart if a taser created an abnormal rhythm, but the studies suggest the defribrillator would still work. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Tazers: There have been recent reports of tazers causing cardiac arrest in patients without aicd's. I suppose it would be possible for a tazer to "trick" and aicd into "thinking" that the patient had an actual arrhythmia and deliver what we would term an "inappropriate shock". I am not aware of any such reports however. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Yes: It is perfectly fine to get breast implants if you have an implantable defibrillator. You simply need to have the defibrillator turned off during the surgery so that the cautery does not interfere with it. This can usually be done very quickly prior to the surgery; the device is then turned back on once the surgery is complete. I hope that helps! ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Yes: It is rarely done in people who are using the defibrillator to help live active lives. However, at the end of life, especially in hospice patients it is very common to have the defibrillator turned off. We often have this done in hospice patients close to death to prevent the devices from delivering shocks at the time of death or after. It sounds kind of grusome, but in reality it is not. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Absolutely: This is one of the risks of this type of device and infections can be nasty. ...Read more
What to do if i heard that there can be complications with an implanted defibrillator such as infections, is it true?
Yes, but: As with any surgical procedure, there is a risk of infection but only at the time of implantation. ...Read more
Not likely: It may not save them but unlikely to kill them. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Will taser kill implanted defibrillator
- If you are touching someone who is hit by a taser will you be electrocuted too
- Can you get herpes by being in a swimming pool with someone who has an outbreak?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Can having oral sex with someone who has a canker sore cause problems?
- How can someone who has had a triple bypass surgery still die of a heart attack?
- Can you get genital herpes from someone who has a mouth sore?
- Will an mri show a herniated disk even after the pain has gone
- Talk to a cardiac electrophysiologist online for free