Doctor insights on:
Will A Surgery For A Funnel Chest Ever Revert Years After The Surgery Is Done
Yes: Pectus excavatum can recur after surgical repair. This is particularly true when the repair is done before puberty. For this reason, most repairs are now done around 14 years of age. The overall recurrence rate is somewhere between 1-3% and is higher in patients with underlying connective tissue diseases. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Depends: At your age, it's unusual to have it corrected. Most are repaired around age 5. Most are done for cosmetic reasons. However, significant pectus defects can limit exercise due to compression of the right ventricle and limits on the heart's ability to increase output during exertion. A test called vo2 max can sort that out. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Can a concaved chest (pectus excavatum) be fixed with chest implants/plastic surgery instead of a hospital operation?
It's still surgery: The answer is yes, it can be fixed with implants (not the best solution) and/or plastic surgery. Either procedure is surgery. In the past a procedure called the nuss procedure was used to correct the shape of the rib cage using an implanted metal plate and i assume you are referring to this procedure. Recently fat injections have been used to correct minor deformities. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
I have both a pigeon chest and a funnel chest. Can I get this fixed? At what age are you too old to have this fixed?
Its cosmetic surg: Usually, chest deformities which are medically necessary to fix, cause symptoms before the age of 16 years old. Bad deformities squeeze down on the heart, reducing diasystolic filling, and therefore reducing cardiac output. If you have lived to 50 yo without cardiac compression, you are looking at cosmetic surgery. ...Read more
Understand Pectus: It is important to understand what 'funnel chest' is, also known as pectus excavatum. A comprehensive review about the subject can be found at: http://emedicine.Medscape.Com/article/1004953-overview review of surgical treatment: http://emedicine.Medscape.Com/article/1970203-overview. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How is the chest closed after a heart bypass surgery?
- Treatment for a swollen foot after surgery on the leg
- What is the role of a pacemaker after aortic valve replacement surgery?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How long is the recovery period after the surgery to fix a chiari malformation?
- What is the usual recovery time after brain surgery to remove a tumor?
- Is a ray of light in the vision common after cataract surgery?
- What restrictions will you have after surgery for a retinal tear?
- How long will it take for the swelling to go down after a knee surgery?