Doctor insights on:
Why Would Someone Need Open Heart Surgery
Open intervention on the heart to correct congenital cardiac anomalies, repair replace heart valves, ascending aortic dissection repair, coronary bypass, heart transplant, surgical removal of heart tumors, ventricular assist devices, cox maze procedures to cure atrial fibrillation, repair of trauma to the heart. Repair of iatrogenic injuries to heart, heart-lung ...Read more
It's complicated: That's a very open ended question. Heart surgery is typically indicated when the risks of surgery are outweighed by the benefits. Lots of studies have been done for various conditions to determine when it is a good idea. Considerations like symptoms (eg, chest discomfort, trouble breathing), or risk of dying (eg, large aortic aneurysms, type a dissection) are factored into the decision. ...Read more
I have a hole in my heart asd and i need open heart surgery is it risky and will my heart be normal after that?
What surgery?: It depends on what defect was treated. Some defects can be cured with surgery but others can only be palliated. Either way surveillance is important so follow up with the cardiologist is necessary. Some heart defect do lead to a shorter life span. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Why would someone need a pacemaker?
- Why would seroma develop after open heart surgery?
- Why would someone need a bone marrow transplant?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Facts on why cosmetic surgery would be needed
- What are the disease leading to needing an open heart surgery?
- Why is hypothermia used during open heart surgery?
- Why is insulin required after open heart surgery?
- Talk to a cardiologist online