Doctor insights on:
Why Is My Thumb Swollen For No Reason
Several things can..: ...Cause a swollen thumb. If you do not have a history of trauma, this list includes stenosing tenosynovits (trigger thumb), tendonitis, degenerative arthritis, gouty arthritis, rheumatologic conditions, and infection. If the swelling last for more than a few days, i strongly urge you to see a board certified hand surgeon for a comprehensive evaluation. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Always a reason: There is always a reason - you may just not remember anything happening to the thumb. If no pain and movement is ok, then you can certainly just watch, elevate and see what happens. If the thumb is bothering you in any way, then you should be concerned and have it checked out. Body parts don't discolor and swell for no reason. ...Read more
Good evening. My left thumb started getting very dry for no reason and eventually split from dryness. What could this be and should I be worried?
Dry Skin/Use Lotion: Many skin conditions can look similar, but in the winter dry/cracked skin can be common. Dry skin can be treated by first wetting the skin and putting lotion on the area 3-4 times a day (or more). This can be caused by other issues, so if it doesn't get better in a couple of days, or gets worse, call a doctor. ...Read more
Thumb advice: If it swollen, painful or has reduced range of motion - an x-ray and medical evaluation would be helpful. In the meantime - use ice, rest it and elevate it. Take care. ...Read more
Have doctor look: I hope this isn't an injury or other problem you have waited too long to check. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Why is my ankle swollen for no reason?
- My upper lip is swollen for no reason
- Why is my left lower thigh muscle twitching for no reason?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- My finger is swollen for no reason
- My ankle is swollen for no reason
- My right foot is swollen for no reason no trauma could it be infected
- Why is my heart beating fast for no reason?
- Why is my lip swollen for no reason?