Doctor insights on:
Why Is It That Corticosteroids Can Increase Blood Pressure
Unknown: Know one really knows why steroids cause high blood pressure in some people however, this effect may be caused by interactions with a cellular protein called proliferation-activation receptor Alpha (ppar-alpha). Persons who take steroids can also develop diabetes, bone loss cararacts, glaucoms or multiple other side effects from long term medication use. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Blood pressure is a measurement of the force placed on the blood vessels and is comprised of the "systolic" pressure (the top number on a blood pressure meter) which is the peak pressure when the heart is pumping, and the "diastolic" pressure (the bottom number on a blood pressure meter) which is the pressure during the resting phase ...Read more
Many possibilities: Salt in your diet. Normal fluctuation. Were you totally at rest when it was measured? Was your arm at heart-height? Is your cuff accurate? Are there foods interfering with your medications (if you're on any?) have you gained weight? Are you on any new med? Are you stressed? Have you slept well? If none of the above, just treat it and get it down to normal to reduce your risks. ...Read more
I'm currently on lebetalol 600mg 2x a day. Every time they increase the medication my blood pressure keeps going up. Could this be related to meds?
Salty food: Salty food and excess simple sugar that effect metabolic syndrome can lead to hypertension. List of herbs that can potentially cause hypertension from AAFP: Aniseed St. Johns Wort Capsicum Parsley Blue Cohosh Vervain Chaste Berry Bayberry Licorice Ginger Ginseng Ephedra Pau d'Arco Coltsfoot Gentian Cola alkaloids Broom alkaloids Calamus amines Guarana ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How low can blood pressure go before it is dangerous?
- Why is it that when i put pressure over my eyes i see colored stars and sparkles?
- Can high blood pressure make you pass out or is that a tia?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Why can i not use my salicylic acid face wash is it really that big of a deal?
- Is it true that a blood smear can provide more accuracy then a cbc?
- Why is it that women are more likely to get blood clots on an airplane then men?
- Why it is said that cephalosporins can cause hemolytic anemia?
- Talk to a cardiologist online