Doctor insights on:
Why Does Cirrhosis Of The Liver Cause Poor Fat Digestion
Here is why:: Chronic liver disease, the advanced form of which is cirrhosis, can cause loss of appetite. fluid in the abdomen (ascites) may compromise your digestion, especially if infected. The blood vessels in your stomach and esophagus may become enlarged (varices) and are more likely to burst. portal hypertensive gastropathy may affect your digestion due to changes in the lining of the stomach. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
This organ plays a major role in metabolism and has a number of functions in the body, including glycogen storage, decomposition of red blood cells, plasma protein synthesis, hormone production, and detoxification. It lies below the diaphragm in the abdominal-pelvic region of the abdomen. It produces bile, an alkaline compound which aids in digestion via the emulsification of ...Read more
I know that for people with liver cirrhosis they lose weight because of lost appetite, but do they also lose weight do to the fact that the liver can't assist in digestion as much anymore? In patients with cirrhosis do nutrients often pass through?
Alcohol & viruses: Alcohol abuse, infection with hepatitis viruses b and c and more recently, non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (associated with obesity) are the common causes. Others being biliary obstruction, primary biliary cirrhosis, schistosomiasis, hemochromatosis, Alpha 1 anti-trypsin deficiency and wilson disease etc. ...Read more
Variable: Only a small proportion, about 20% of chronic drinkers get cirrhosis. The amount of alcohol needed to start the process towards cirrhosis varies with the genetic makeup of the person and other issues, such as chronic viral hepatitis, state of nutrition etc. I would urge you to not take more than one drink a day. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Does hepatitis b cause cirrhosis of the liver?
- Does cirrhosis of the liver cause pain?
- How does alcohol cause cirrhosis of the liver?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How many drinks a day does it take to get cirrhosis of the liver?
- Why are anal hemorrhoids associated with cirrhosis of the liver?
- What does cirrhosis of the liver look like?
- Why does liver cirrhosis affect digestion?
- Talk to a hepatologist online for free