Doctor insights on:
Why Do Some People Get Mono When Others Dont
Why do some people get mono when they are infected with ebv but others don't? How common is infection
Depends: Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) is the cause of mono. Majority of adults have been infected and subsequently develop an immunity by age 40. Rarely, a second milder infection is possible. Most people get the virus in their childhood resulting in flu like symptoms. After recovery, most of them have lifetime immunity. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Once : Once a patient has had mono, they will always test positive for the virus. In general, patients only get true mono one time, but if the patient is very "run-down", or susceptible from physical stressors, the virus can re-activate and cause mono symptoms and can also be contagious again. ...Read more
Maybe: The majority of adults have mono in childhood and are immune. For those that are not, the illness is harsh. The contagious period begins days before the first symptoms and lasts 3 weeks in most, longer in some.You can be supportive,but less intimate, and might avoid it.Yet you are likely incubating it already if susceptible. I'd probably take my chances unless I wanted an excuse to take off. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Why do some people get hangovers while other people dont?
- Susceptibility to strep throat
- Why do some pimples hurt and others dont?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Why do some people get intense trembling and twitching when nervous?
- Why do some people get miliaria itchy rashes when exercising?
- Why do some people react differently to alcohol than others?
- Why do some people need more fiber than others?
- Talk to a pediatrician online