Doctor insights on:
Albinism And Vision Problems
Vision in albinism: Albinism has moderate and severe forms. Refractive needs are common. The eyes as a protective measure commonly develop a dancing motion (nystagmus) which lowers the central acuity. Light sensitivity is of course the rule. There are advances in this know to your ophthalmologist who you should consult when the condition is first detected. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
No: Albinism is a genetic pigmentary disorder. The genetic defect that affects enzymes that are involving in pigment (melanin) production or distributive pathways. With this condition, it is absolutely imperative to use sunscreen/block, sunglasses, and sun protective clothing to prevent uv induced damages. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Albinism: Albinos inherit a deficiency in a gene which makes pigment. Pigment is protective against sun and other environmental influences it is usually a recessive and therefore the abnormal gene is in both parents with a 25% of albino offspring (higher if the parent is albino themselves). Multiple body systems can be affected including vision. Sun sensitivity is extreme. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Lack of pigment in: Eyes, skin and hair.Get a more detailed answer ›
No: Oculocutaneous albinism is a genetic defect of the enzyme in our body that produces melanin-this determines skin color. There are different types of severity based on the gene involved and how much the gene is "damaged." the more damage, the less melanin. It is not an all or none effect. Patients can still get freckles, small collections of skin cells with more melanin than surrounding skin. ...Read more
Defect in melanin: Is a congenital disorder characterized by the complete or partial absence of pigment in the skin, hair and eyes due to absence or defect of tyrosinase, a copper-containing enzyme involved in the production of melanin. Albinism results from inheritance of recessive gene alleles and is known to affect all vertebrates, including humans.The treatment is symtomatic especialy for the eye problems. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Why do overweight people have trouble with overheating?
- Why do i have trouble breathing sometimes?
- Why do i have trouble breathing at night?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Why do i have trouble breathing when windows open isnt fresh air good?
- Why do i have much trouble sleeping in a hotel than at home?
- Having trouble falling asleep at night but not sure why who do i see about it
- Why do i have trouble sleeping after talking with my teen at night?
- Talk to a clinical geneticist online for free