Doctor insights on:
Why Could Your Heart Flutter When You Yawn
See Below: Because in young people flutter or atrial fibrillation could be activated by the structure in the right atrium and at the superior aspect of the inferior vena cava and yawning is usually a symptom of vagal tone and may lead to arrythmias through the same process. Cold drinks with ice can lead to acute atrial fibrillation through the same process. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Yawning is opening the mouth semi-voluntarily while taking a long, deep breath of air. It is a type of reflex action controlled by the brain (a person cannot yawn on command). Yawning is normal, and usually due to drowsiness or tiredness. However, excessive yawning that happens much more often than normal may be caused by vagus nerve signals, due ...Read more
Rhythm problem: Palpitations or fluttering sensations in the chest most commonly mean that the heart is actually beating irregular with some early beats and some pauses. This can occur at any time of day but not uncommonly, the patient is more likely to notice the sensations at night when lying still or on the left side. Also, in some cases the skipping is more likely to occur when the pulse is slower(lying down). ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Heart position: Change in position affects the brain regulation of heart rate. It also may cause stretching of certain chambers. These can result in premature beats or other arrhythmias. Those same arrhythmias may be more easy to feel and notice when lying as opposed to walking around. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
New data: There is new data that suggests that long term endurance athletes are at increased risk for atrial fibrillation and atrial flutter later in life, possibly due to stretching of the top chambers of the heart. But this is far from conclusive, and a healthy lifestyle is still known as the best way to prevent heart disease. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Why could you have purple spots on your chest with heart pain?
- Why does your heart rate increase when you are vertical vs horizontal?
- Why does your heart beat fast when you exercise?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Why does your heart rate rise when you exercise?
- Why do you get a strange taste in your mouth when you have a cold or flu?
- What could it mean if you get hives when you get your menstral period?
- Why do your eyes get red when you cry?
- Talk to a cardiologist online