Doctor insights on:
Why Cant You Have Alcohol While Taking Antibiotics
Possible reaction: Some common antibiotics, like metronidazol (flagyl), trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazol (bactrim), and tinidazol (tindamax) can cause severe flushing, headache, nausea and vomiting, and elevated heart rate when combined with even a little alcohol. In general, the side effects of other antibiotics are similar to those of drinking, and might therefore be worsened by consuming alcohol. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Will drinking alcohol while taking antibiotics deter their effectiveness ? Or will it make you more drowsy/nauseous . Metronidazole and doxycycline
Severe vomiting: Like trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole , Metronidazole and alcohol can cause a Disulfiram -like reaction similar the drug, Antabuse (disulfiram) - resulting in violent vomiting. Doxycycline in itself, can cause severe nausea and vomiting. As a result, you will not likely keep you medication down - which ultimately restricts the effectiveness of the vomited antibiotic. ...Read more
Unnecessary: Although alcohol while in the blood stream may inhibit some functions of white blood cells, assuming the antibiotic you are receiving is one which is appropriate to the situation it should make no practical difference in the outcome of your infection. Now if you are otherwise immunocompromised that may be relevant. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Not worth it: Without knowing what antibiotic you are on and what for, I would recommend that you refrain from alcohol consumption while you are on antibiotics. Depending on how the specific antibiotic is metabolized, the alcohol may either increase or decrease the amount of the antibiotic in your system. Please wait until your antibiotic course is over before starting to drink alcohol again. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Why cant you have alcohol while taking antibiotics for bacterial vaginosis?
- Why cant you have alcohol while on antibiotics?
- Why cant you drink alcohol while taking antibiotic?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Why cant you consume alcohol while taking valtrex?
- Why cant you drink alcohol while taking vandazole?
- Why cant you drink alcohol while taking tindamax?
- Why cannot you drink alcohol while taking antibiotics?
- Talk to a infectious disease specialist online