Doctor insights on:
Why Cant You Have Alcohol While On Antibiotics
Depends on the med: Doxycycline is less effective with chronic alcohol use. Rifampin and Isoniazid can be more toxic to the liver combined with alcohol. There likely are more interactions; these should be included in the drug information sheet that accompanies the antibiotic. If in doubt, avoid alcohol. If heavy drinker, may need to ask doctor for advice regarding cutting down; stopping suddenly can be dangerous. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Clindamycin & ETOH: While there is no direct adverse effect of consuming alcohol while on Clindamycin therapy, many antibiotics, including Clindamycin can cause varying levels of GI upset. Adding alcohol can aggravate this GI upset. I would suggest moderation in your alcohol consumption. ...Read more
Depends on…: The antibiotic: some like Flagyl (metronidazole) can interact with alcohol & cause marked nausea & vomiting. Bactrim alone can cause nausea/vomiting even without alcohol. No drug interactions r listed for bactrim, amoxicillin, & alcohol, but it's never a good idea to mix alcohol with meds. Bactrim & alcohol both affect the liver. Best to wait until you've finished antibiotics before drinking. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Wait 24-48: To be safe and to let the antibx work most effectively, wait 24-48 hours, than you can drink etoh in moderation and responsibly only. Best wishes. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Why cant you have alcohol while taking antibiotics for bacterial vaginosis?
- Why cant you have alcohol while taking antibiotics?
- Why you cant drink alcohol while taking antibiotics?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Can you drink alcohol while on antibiotics for uti?
- Why cant you drink alcohol on metrogel?
- Why cant you drink alcohol while using the medication metrogel?
- Why cant you drink alcohol while taking tindamax?
- Talk to a infectious disease specialist online