Doctor insights on:
Why Cant You Drink Alcohol While Taking Antibiotic
Alcohol is available in many beverages, from beer and wine to the more potent distilled spirits, such as gin, rye, and whiskey. There appear to be at least small health benefits of small amounts of alcohol use (fewer than five drinks per week), especially of red wine Excessive alcohol use can lead to addiction and severe social and physical complications. Excess long term alcohol use is the most common cause of cirrhosis of the ...Read more
Possible reaction: Some common antibiotics, like metronidazol (flagyl), trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazol (bactrim), and tinidazol (tindamax) can cause severe flushing, headache, nausea and vomiting, and elevated heart rate when combined with even a little alcohol. In general, the side effects of other antibiotics are similar to those of drinking, and might therefore be worsened by consuming alcohol. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Within limits, yes: Azithromycin can cause gastrointestinal irritation with abdominal pain, nausea, or cramping, and alcohol could make it worse. For most people, a couple of drinks, wine or beer aren't likely to be a problem, but go easy. Of course heavy alcohol use impairs the body's ability to fight any infection, so no heavy drinking. ...Read more
Can I drink alcohol while taking Nitrofurantoin 100mg for a UTI? I wanna drink this weekend and my last day to take this antibiotic is Saturday.
No contraindication: However, since alcohol use may be associated with sexual disinhibition, and "athletic" or vigorous sexual activity is associated with UTI's in women, would exercise caution on that front. Alcohol does reduce our body's immune response to infections, and does have some interactions with some antibiotics (taking it with Flagyl can be dangerous), there is no problem with nitrofurantoin. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Why you cant drink alcohol while taking antibiotics?
- Why cant you have alcohol while taking antibiotics?
- Why cant you have alcohol while taking antibiotics for bacterial vaginosis?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Why cant you drink alcohol while taking tindamax?
- Why cannot you drink alcohol while taking antibiotics?
- Why cant you have alcohol while on antibiotics?
- Why cant you drink alcohol with antibiotics for bv?
- Talk to a infectious disease specialist online