Doctor insights on:
Why Are Patients Not Given Conscious Sedation For Thyroid Biopsy
Biopsy is tissue removed by needle or cutting to remove part of a body part. It is usually a small amount of material that is processed by a pathologist. Most of the time it is stained and looked at through a microscope to arrive at a diagnosis. Special processes are done for some tissues or problems. The purpose is to tell what the problem is (diagnosis). ...Read more
Is a needle sedation in the throat for a thyroid biopsy (before the procedure begins) the normal way to go. I am healthy 74 year old woman)?
What LOCAL anesthetic agent/medicine is safest for Long QT heart patient? Neck (thyroid) biopsy coming up, local anesth. will need to be used.
Lidocaine should be: fine in the very small amount utilized. If absolutely necessary Lidocaine with Epinephrine could be utilized but is probably unnecessary. If you are extremely worried it could probably be done nearly painlessly with a skinny needle and no anesthetic. Your own anxiety and intrinsic catecholamine release is probably of greater risk than anything else. Mild sedation might be in order. ...Read more
It depends: Thyroid cytology requires expertise in some cases. If you are not sure of the expertise of the person reading the cytology you should ask for a second opinion. If you just dont like the conclusion, but they are expert, then you need to have an expert surgeon or endocrinologist who will take the time to explain why the treatment is appropriate and safe. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Needle into nodule: Thyroid glands can develop nodules and an important way to determine whether the nodule is cancerous is a needle biopsy. This is done under ultrasound guidance and uses a very fine needle. The procedure in not as bad as it may sound and is done as an outpatient. It is best done by someone who does this all the time so that adequate material is obtained for a diagnosis. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Thyroid glands can develop nodules and an important way to determine whether the nodule is cancerous is a needle biopsy. This is done under ultrasound guidance and uses a very fine needle. The procedure in not as bad as it may sound and is done as an outpatient. It is best done by someone who does this all the time so that adequate material is ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Can patients request conscious sedation for thyroid biopsy?
- Endocrinologist that use conscious sedation for thyroid biopsy
- Why are patients with copd given oxygen supplement in low amounts of 2lmin?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Why are diet pills not meant for people under 18?
- Why are dialysis patients at risk for anemia and osteoporosis?
- Why is neurontin usually given for nerve pain and not bruises or other injuries?
- Why are renal patients undergoing dialysis at risk for anemia and osteoporosis?
- Talk to a pathologist online for free