Doctor insights on:
Who Is Affected By Muscular Dystrophy
Estimated incidence: Estimated incidence is approx. 1 in 4, 000 male births. ...Read more
Talk and love: People with muscular dystrophy have the same social needs that we all have, so continuing to interact and spend time with them is a huge plus. They're also in a position to teach us all some important lessons about life. Encourage them to do so. In addition, people with muscular dystrophy have a need to be as functionally independent as possible and to set and work toward goals. Best wishes! ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Muscle disease: Muscular dystrophy is a worsening disorder that causes muscle weakness. The worst kind is duchenne's dystrophy, that affects only boys, leads to severe weakness, and wheelchair needs, breathing difficulties in the teens. Milder forms can present later or not cause as much disability. These are genetic (runs in families) disorders. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Weakness: Muscular dystrophy syndromes are the result of abnormal proteins. These result in faulty muscle production, muscle tissue is replaced by scar tissue and fatty infiltrate. This results in weakness, muscle contracture and sometimes scoliosis. Later in the disease process frequent respiratory infections and other issues. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How much of the population is affected by muscular dystrophy?
- How many people are affected by muscular dystrophy?
- Who is more likely to be affected by facet syndrome
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Who is affected by alcoholism
- Who is affected by asperger s syndrome
- Who is affected by osteoporosis
- Who is affected by acne
- Talk to a neurologist online