Doctor insights on:
Who Is A Hidden Addict
Motif?: Your motif for this is what matters, to support a friend or family member, absolutely, make sure it is an open meeting and not a closed meeting which is only for alcoholics or addicts. Just out of curiosity or to people watch, probably not, going into a field such as counseling or social work, maybe. Looking for some support for yourself, look online, there are 12 step meetings for many issues. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Probably them: Most addicts have very strong defense mechanisms. Denial, literally they just can't see the problem.They justify, minimize, rationalize, intellectualize, lots more " izes". One component of addiction is conflict with others. I don't know you, so all I have is my knowledge of how addiction works. I recommend finding a local counselor or other professional to help all of you figure it out. Good luck. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Yes?: From a biological standpoint yes in my opinion, people can be sober 10, 20 or more years and still relapse severely if the substance is reintroduced. From a recovery standpoint identifying as an addict is very helpful for most. It keeps people in recovery; grounded, humble and reminds them where they were. Some don't take this same view which may work for them, but most can't escape their biology. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Wouldn't it be great: If we had the ability to convince an addict that they have a real problem and that they need help. People often don't see what they refuse to see. I would share your concerns and even offer the addict in your life to take them to a 12 step program. But remember, that you can't control what an addict thinks or does. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What can you do for someone who is choking on a glass of water?
- Who is not a good candidate for dialysis
- Is pityriasis rosea harmful to a person who is pregnant?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What is a healthy weight range for a 6 ft 4 in male who is 22 years old?
- I am pregnant is it bad to be around a child who is diagnosed with scarlet fever
- Can a woman who is very hairy have problems giving birth?
- The ideal weight for a 44 year old man who is 68 inches tall
- Talk to an addiction specialist online for free