Doctor insights on:
Which Children Need Vitamin D Supplements
Need advice on what is the the difference between calcium/vitamin d supplements and drinking milk?
Supplements is also known as Vitamins and supplements. A dietary supplement, also known as food supplement or nutritional supplement, is a preparation intended to supplement the diet and provide nutrients, such as vitamins, minerals, fiber, fatty acids, or amino acids, that may be missing or may not be consumed in sufficient quantities in a person's diet. Some countries define dietary supplements as foods, while ...Read more
If i take vitamin d supplements, do I need to take magnesium supplements along with it to improve vitamine d absorption? And to prevent mag depletion?
It depends on:: All adults need to take 5-8000 iu/day of Vitamin D3 in fall and winter months as we can not get any D from the sun (unless in the deep South). We can get adequate D from spending time in the mid-day sun in spring and summer, but if you don't get much sun or use sunscreen then it is reasonable to take D year-round. See http://tinyurl.com/m67hmkg ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Vitamin D absorption: People who have had intestinal (gut) surgery may not absorb vitamin D as well. More commonly, vitamin D levels are more difficult to raise in obese people because fat tissue holds onto some of the vitamin D. If level is low, don't try to increase supplement dose without telling your doctor because too much vitamin D can be toxic. You will have periodic blood levels to ensure levels reach goal. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Increase blood level: Vitamin d supplements are used to treat low 25 hydroxy vitamin d levels (< 30 ng/ml). Many different approaches are used ranging from a daily dose of 1, 000 - 10, 000 iu, to a weekly single dose of 50, 000 - 60, 000 iu. Due tp poor absorption the daily dosing regimen is preferred by many providers. Vitamin d levels should be followed and dosage adjusted to maintain levels of 60-80 ng/ml. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Both: The best is to get both the sun and vit d3. Otherwise, one or the other is fine. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Do i need to give vitamin d supplements to infants who are fed infant formula?
- Which vitamin d supplement should i take
- Which doctor specializes in vitamin d deficiency
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Can a vitamin d supplement cause cramping and diarrhea?
- Can taking vitamin d supplements and calcium supplements cause hard stools and constipation?
- Frequent bowel movements after taking calcium and vitamin d supplements
- How long does it take to feel the effects of vitamin d supplements?
- Talk to a pediatrician online