Doctor insights on:
Where Is The Main Site Of Alcohol Metabolism
Since cirrhosis slows down the metabolism of alcohol, if alcohol was consumed would the breathalyzer reading be higher Than a "normal" person?
Depends: Social alcohol use would have little or no effect on either basal metabolism or calcium levels. Chronic heavy use of alcohol can cause damage to the thyroid gland and result in low thyroid, which can lower basal metabolism, and also can damage vitamin d absorption. In addition, heavy alcohol users may not take in enough calcium, and can get "brittle" bones and other findings of low calcium. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Companies market light alcohol drinks as a healthier alternative. Is this true and do low alcohol calorie drinks slow down your metabolism.?
It depends: Alcohol has about 8 kcal of energy compared to sugar with about 4kcal of energy. So it could be that a drink with lower alcohol could be considered safer because it had less alcohol and hence prevented unnecessary weight gain or other complications. Alcohol is a sedative so it can be argued it helps slow down metabolism. This is marketing! lite beer has likely killed a lot of people. ...Read more
Dangerous: Do not use both! could be very dangerous. This shows up on board questions for docs. Avoid! ...Read more
See below : I am not really sure what you mean by alcohol reducing metabolism. It clearly reduces intestinal motion and function in certain parts of the brain. Its overall effect on metabolic rate is not much. Marijuana also reduces function in certain areas of the brain but has little impact on metabolic rate. ...Read more
Can a thyroid imbalance effect the rate of matabolism of alcohol? If a thyroid imbalance may cause you matabolism to increase, would the same thyroid imbalance also produce more ethonal from less alcohol consumption?
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What is the main function of the epiphyseal plates in bones?
- How much alcohol is the liver capable of oxidizing per hour?
- Which is the least harmful form of alcohol to drink
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Where is your bladder located in the body of a pregnant women
- Where is the antrum of the stomach located
- Is it normal to have a large bump on the site of the allergy injection?
- What is the main sypmtom of burning and tingle in belly button?
- What is the interaction of alcohol and fluconazole?