Doctor insights on:
Where Are The Chordae Tendinae Located
Below: The chordae tendinae are attached to the underside of the tricuspid (right side of the heart between the right atrium and right ventricle) and the mitral valve (left side of the heart between the left atrium and left ventricle). The attach much the same way that the chords of a parachute attach to the chute. The transmit the forces to pull open the valve and align it to close properly. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Hold valve: Think of valve as a parachute, chordae tendinae are the "ropes" that anchor the valve leaflets or cusps to the heart muscle. Heart muscle contraction pulls on these cords to close the valve, when when heart relaxes then the valve opens. They are an important part of the heart valve apparatus. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Usually wear & tear: Most cases of chordae tendinae rupture are because of degeneration after years of routine "wear and tear" leads to thickening and retraction. Rarely, it can occur due to infection (endocarditis), either acutely, or later if fibrosis develops and distorts the chorda. If a mitral valve is extremely "floppy", i.e. Mv prolapse, the flopping leaflet may pull the chorda hard enough to tear it. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
I've been told I have loose chordae tendinae. Could this have been misinterperated on the echo and be something else?
Valve prolapse: chordae tendenae in a structure that normally exist in every heart, it is related to 2 of the valves of the heart: the mitral valve and the tricuspid valve it is like a tendon that connect the undersurface of these valves to a strong muscle, in order to make sure the valve close in the proper line. diseases of the chordae can make the valve either narrow or loose and leaking in the wrong direction ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Function of the chordae tendineae
- How does a chordae tendinae rupture?
- Which heart valves that are anchored by chordae tendinae
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What structure does the chordae tendinae hold in place?
- Which heart valves are anchored by chordae tendinae to the heart muscle
- What is the significance of nonfunctional or defective chordae tendinae?
- Why do the semilunar valves not have chordae tendinae?
- Where is the chordae tendinae located