Doctor insights on:
When Is Surgery Needed On Gallbladder
I have slush in my gallbladder, & it's making me sick and have a pain in my side. Is there a possibility i'll need surgery?
PAIN AND PROBLEMS: If you are having gb symptoms and forego the surgery, the bloating, nausea, and pain will continue. This can be moderated by eating a lower fat diet. Gallstones may eventually pass into the bile system, and cause jaundice or pancreatitis. Long standing chronic gb inflammation can lead to gb cancer, but that is rare. Laparoscopic gb surgery is usually a safe procedure. Speak to your surgeon. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Have had gallbladder "sand." Do people generally have this without ever needing surgery or should I consider preventative surgery to remove it?
Delay surgery: no need for surgery until you start having symptoms ...Read more
Trial and error diet: While many patients have no GI symptoms after cholecystectomy (gallbladder removal), some patients may note changes in bowel habits with more frequent stools and irritation. Some patients may have alterations in dietary tolerance, which may change over time. This cannot be predicted prior to cholecystectomy and trial and error of diet is normal. ...Read more
Is it necessary to undergo surgery when the discovery of a gallstone in the gallbladder. Or there is a cure and there is no need for surgery?
R u having symptoms?: The only definitive treatment of gallbladder disease is to remove the "gallstone factory". Thankfully, this can usually be removed via out-patient laparoscopic surgery. Like all operations, there are risks and it is up to you and your surgeon to decide if the benefits of this operation outweigh the risks. However, if you have stones that are "silent"--not causing symptoms--we don't recommend rx. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- When is it safe to drink alcohol after gallbladder surgery
- Is surgery needed for gallbladder polyps?
- When is surgery necessary for gallbladder polyps
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Is it possible to fix my lazy eye when i already had surgery on it before?
- Is it normal for me to have dried blood on me when i wake up from surgery?
- How is the need for gallbladder surgery determined?
- When is it nessecary to have surgery on a intestinal to skin fistula
- Talk to a hepatologist online for free